This page contains Fields Dance Studio policies, rules, and general information.
Both parents and students are encouraged to read and understand this information.
- Tuition is payable in ten installments, with each installment due on the first
of each month.
- Checks should be made payable to Fields Dance Studio.
- There is a $25 service charge for any returned checks.
- The studio is closed on Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break, and Memorial Day.
- The studio is NOT closed for teacher's meetings, exams,
President's birthdays, or other school holidays.
Missed & Make-Up Classes
- If the Newport News public schools are closed due to inclement weather,
the studio will be closed if the roads are still unsafe at class time.
Call the studio if you are uncertain whether or not we are open.
- Cancelled classes will be made up at a later date.
- If you miss a class, you still pay for that lesson. If you miss several classes,
we will try to arrange a time to make up the work.
- If you plan to discontinue dance lessons, you must notify the studio or you
will be charged for all classes until until notification is received. Two weeks' notice is
required for cancellation.
- Parents are permitted to observe class. Due to limited space,
only two observers per student are allowed. Observers must sit quietly
and not disturb or distract the class. No small children, please. Observers
are permitted only at the discretion of the instructor.
- All cell phones should be turned off in the studio (students and observers).
Cell phones may be used in the front office area or outside the building.
- Students should be on time for class. Plan to arrive approximately five minutes
before your class, and be ready for your first subject.
- Do not wear dance shoes outside. Change them at the studio. This will keep your
shoes clean and in good condition, and protect the studio dance floor.
- On wet days, change your shoes in the waiting area.
- No street shoes on the studio dance floor!
- Keep your shoes and dance paraphenalia with you in the studio. Put your name on
all of your dance equipment. Do not leave your things in the waiting area or
the costume shop. Fields Dance Studio is not responsible for lost or
stolen dance equipment.
- Pointe students are required to enroll in Ballet Technique classes, for
their own benefit.
- No unnecessary talking during class. This applies to both students and observers.
- No gum, candy, drinks, food, smoking, or cell phones are allowed in the
- No video cameras are allowed in class without advance permission from the studio.
- Girls, 3-5 years: Leotard and tights (any style or color).
- Girls, 6 years and up: Must wear solid-color tights and leotard, bikertard,
unitard or biker pants over leotard. No t-shirts. No bare-midriff tops. Fitted dance shirts are permitted
- Boys, all ages: Solid-color t-shirts and shorts, biker pants, warm-up pants, or jazz pants.
- No jewelry or watches.
- Hair must be pulled back from the face, and long hair must be worn up.
- Hip Hop classes wear tank leotard, jazz pants, hip hop sneakers, and knee pads.
- Costumes for the June recital will be ordered in January.
- Recital costume payment plan: A $50 deposit is required in November.
The balance is due in early February. Refer to the home page for
actual dates for each dance season.
- Recital pictures are taken in May.
- Recital is held in June at a local auditorium.
- Recital fee (approximately $45) is due in May.